Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

What is the fastest firewall?

From: "Hoover, Joshua" <Joshua.Hoover () schwab com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:50:54 -0700

Greetings all,

I have a few questions I'd like to open up for discussion.  Currently we are
looking at cisco 6500s as a security device because we can get extremely
fast rates due to it's security policies are ASIC hardware based.  My
question is this:

What is the best and fastest implementation for a security device that has
to work at gigabit Ethernet speeds?  We have to have layer four security.
The device should also be equivalent to the function of a 6500 with a MSFC
daughter card (It should support routing between vlans as well).

I would greatly appreciate a point to any web sites that show tests of these
devices, or any discussion that you could provide..

thanks,

Joshua C. Hoover
Charles Schwab, Inc.
Information Security Services