Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Killing Napster and beyond...

From: "David Hassilev" <David () nbsys com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:01:14 -0800

 I keep seeing these posts regarding Napster and its ilk. These are NOT network problems IMHO! Nor does their control
need to be pushed out at the perimeter of the network. Rather, they should be controlled where you CAN control them, on
the desktop!

 This is what change control is all about, standard desktop image deployments, regular audits etc.. If you have a
Firewall and you are serious about managing it, then you MUST have a security policy! Surely the security policy
prohibits users from installing the likes of Napster on their desktop. That said, get the tools to monitor or control
the desktops, or simply enforce by policy.

 That should keep the poor firewall slob from beating his/her head against the proverbial wall every time and
application pops up that circumvents the firewall from the inside out.

 David

"R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com> 10/16 6:12 PM >>>

folks serious about security are concerned, as well as those trying to use
their bandwidth for work over play.  Then again, I work for a major
provider that does some big time maintainance for some very large
companies, and they are not only willing to turn their firewalls into
glorified routers passing some of the nonsense traffic, let alone that we
now hire folks to maintain those glorified routers that have not only no
security experience, but, they have never even maintained a single Os.

The times they are a changin...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne