Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Air Gap info from Whale's founder

From: Jeffery.Gieser () minnesotamutual com
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:48:48 -0500

David,

#As you describe the e-gap, I am not seeing anything that it does that a
#standard proxy based firewall doesn't also do. instead of positioning
#yourself as being so much better then the packet filter variaties, can you
#say why you are any better then the proxy ones?

I don't think that the E-Gap product really competes against firewalls.  It
is meant to complement firewalls (proxy or otherwise).  An area I could see
this being used in is something like what Secure Computing's Secure Network
Server (SNS) was used for.  One way transfer of data from a higher
classified network to a lower classified network or vis-verse(SP).   The
SNS transfered e-mail between networks of different classification (TS/TSI,
TS, Secret, etc).  If I have a lot of customer data in a backend database
that is on a network that is not hooked up to the internet for security
reasons but I need that database to send a small portion of it's data to
another database that is hooked up to my e-commerce site then something
like this may fit.  This would also fit in better with Rick Smith's analogy
of a 3-ton safe door and a firewall from Builder's Square.

Regards,
Jeffery Gieser