Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: TTL, works with Cisco ACL's to :)

From: Lance Spitzner <lance () spitzner net>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 23:23:51 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Alex Goldney wrote:

I know a lot of sites don't do good egress filtering, and I guess that is
the point that needs to be hammered home.....

Actually many sites do have egress filtering.  However, the filtering device
is filtering outbound traffic generated by the internal network.  What many
sites are NOT doing is egress filtering of traffic generated by the filtering
device itself.  The filtering device is trusted, so it is allowed to generate
and send any traffic it wants to.  That is why I belive the use of TTL within
port scans can be effective against many filtering devices.