Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: VPN on NT

From: "Keith.Morgan" <Keith.Morgan () Terradon com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:51:02 -0500

I've run Windows NT RRAS to PopTop VPN's.  I've also deployed linux ipchains
based firewalls using PopTop for remote access.  My experience has been as
follows:

Ipchains and ipmasqadm have worked beautifully.
PopTop has worked well WITHOUT mppe encryption, and mschapv2.
Working implementations for me have not encluded Microsoft encryption, and
have relied upon CHAP for authentication to the pptpd.

Attempting to install the PPPD patches under slackware linux to allow the
pptp encryption has never worked for me, and at least once was disastrous.
(the patches modify kernel include files... they rendered my system useless
until I was able to recompile a clean kernel).

If anyone has any *good* documentation for getting microsoft encryption
working on Slackware Linux 4.0 - 7.1, I'd *LOVE* to see it.