Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

cache server question

From: "Cosgriff, Joe" <joe.cosgriff () cplc com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 09:50:12 -0400

I have a problem that I am trying to get some information on.
Cache Server.....

We are trying to implement a cache server on the network to be used during
high volume times like hurricanes.  (I know this sounds a little weird but
this is the requirement we have).  It should be able to be turned off and on
when high volume time hits.  This may be subject to other problems but right
now this is what they are looking for.

Internet ----- router ----- switch ----- FW ----- switch ----- Intranet
     |                 |                |              |               |

     ----------  router ----- switch ----- FW ----- switch ---------
                                                                       cache
server? (where would be the best place)

1.  WCCP is not an option.  To expensive.
2.  We have a limited budget.
3.  FW should maintain audit/logging.  Need to still be able to know what
user access what page.

If you have any suggestions please advise.

Joseph L. Cosgriff
Carolina Power and Light
Firewall Administrator
joe.cosgriff () cplc com