Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ICMP blocking on PIX .4.4.1

From: User nawk <nawk () real-secure com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 12:57:13 -0400

Hi,

    That is exactly how it should be done. You want ICMP and spoofing
stopped on the router. Firewalls are a great device, but not perfect.
Cisco's ACL do a much better job on blocking. Just make sure the lists are
not to long so the CPU of the router does not get saturated. Think of it as
what if you or someone makes a mistake on the firewall and now you opened
yourself up. All it is are layers of defense. If you really want to be anal,
setup ACL on your border routers, then apply your rules on the firewall and
last setup another router behind the firewall with ACL again. This way the
attacker has to pass all three to get into your network.

Thanks