Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Problem with Virtual IP addresses for Web Servers

From: "Garrahan, Kelvin" <Kelvin.Garrahan () compaq com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 15:23:31 +0100

Hi,

I have recently set-up a Checkpoint Firewall-1 V4.0 SP5 in front of a Web
Farm. When a client connects to the Virtual IP address of a Web Server it
will be directed to a physical IP address of one of the Servers in the Farm.
The problem that I am seeing is that the corresponding response is being
dropped at the Firewall since the state table is maintained for the virtual
IP address and not the real address. The funny thing is that the service
actually works, how? well I think that this is something got to do with the
load balancer that we are using (Cisco's Local Director). I would like to
clean up my logs by not having responses from the web servers dropped and
logged as such.

An ideas would be appreciated.

regards

Kel.