Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: B.O.F. -reply

From: Mark.Teicher () predictive com
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 07:03:01 -0700

BFR 2.0, in my mind, should be a combination a Honeypot (ability to enable
service stubs (i.e. Fake Telnet, ftp, http, etc) as it does today, and the
ability to detect similiar vulnerability attacks like NetworkICE BlackICE
Defender.

The trick would to integrate the service within (Arggh), Microsoft
operating system.  Some of the other personal IDS agents available have a
nice front end, but their service that runs behind, sometimes fails when a
machine is rebooted, thus losing the corrupting the log file (i.e. missed
events, loses it's brain in why a reboot happenned) (flatfiles seem to
speed up the application quite a bit). Although using Installshield Update
or Package for the Web can do a nice job of giving the user the ability to
retrieve updates without missing a beat.  :)

A reporting feature with print or HTML ability would be also very nice...

/mark

"Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr net>
Sent by: owner-firewall-wizards () lists nfr net
05/04/00 02:48 PM
Please respond to "Marcus J. Ranum"