Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

PIX Firewall Resilience Question

From: "Garrahan, Kelvin" <Kelvin.Garrahan () compaq com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 16:28:31 -0000

Hi,

I have seen design for a resilient PIX firewall configuration and I want
some opinions on whether it is a good configuration or not, also if any one
has a better Idea on how to implement a PIX failover system I would
appreciate it.

PIX config

Two PIX 515 with 4 port Ethernet cards in each.

*       Two interfaces are connected to outside network. Each outside
interface goes into a separate switch.
*       Two interfaces are connected to inside network. Each inside
interface goes into a separate switch.

Failover between the Firewalls is handled by the PIX failover cable.

My questions are;

1) Can you have two interfaces connected to the same network even if each
interface resides on a separate switch?

2) If the above can be done how is routing handled? from memory you assign
routes to interfaces

I think even if the above works the rules base would become very
complicated.

Again any ideas/help would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance

Kel.

Kelvin Garrahan
Security Consultant