Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: Trusted OS...

From: Paul McNabb <mcnabb () argus-systems com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:19:58 -0600 (CST)

The presence on the EPL is neither a requirement nor an indicator of
a trusted OS, although there is a strong correlation.  The various
security mechanisms added to SCC's BSDI qualify it as a TOS even
though it was never evaluated.  The same is true of Cyberguard.
It's underlying OS has a long history of flirting with the evaluation
process under TPEP, and it has all of the features needed for TOS
status -- all of which were done back in the old pre-Cyberguard
Harris days.

By the same token, NT and other "C2" systems appear on EPLs, but
they aren't TOSes because they lack various functionality (such as
a mandatory policy and privilege/admin controls).

paul

 From: "Woeltje, Donald" <dwoeltje () sebh org>

 You know, I like the products that your company makes but regardless, your
 list means that you have not completely done your homework. Having worked
 with virtually all of Secure Computing's products, Sidewinder runs on it's
 own hardened version of BSD but that version of BSD is NOT listed on the
 TCSEC EPL. Neither is the OS used by the Unix version of CyberGuard, as I've
 also worked with it. I don't know about the others. On the other hand,
 Sidewinder is my preferred firewall for situations requiring the highest
 level of security.

Paul A. McNabb, CISSP           Argus Systems Group, Inc.
Senior Vice President and CTO   1809 Woodfield Drive
mcnabb () argus-systems com        Savoy, IL 61874 USA
TEL 217-355-6308
FAX 217-355-1433                "Securing the Future"