Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: High Speed Firewalls

From: "Saravana Ram" <ram () POP Jaring My>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 15:30:29 +0800

From: "David Newman" <dnewman () networktest com>

Consider, for example, OC-48 (2.4-Gbit/s) links which are common today in
large carrier networks or OC-192 (10-Gbit/s) links that are beginning to
appear. Given current firewall speed limits of ~100 Mbit/s or less in each
direction, we're not talking about 10:1 parallelism -- indeed 1000:1 may
be
more like it. This *might* work from a traffic engineering standpoint, but
there's no way any self-respecting ops guy (or gal) will sign off on a
network design that adds 999 more interfaces to manage. And guess what --

Forgive me for perhaps seeming abit daft, but since when do carriers need to
plug their backbones into firewalls?