Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ??? vs blackice

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 15:53:26 -0800 (PST)

Um. I would NOT compare BlackICE Defender to NFR BOF.

There are a certain class of products known as "port listeners": they open up
ports and listen for incoming requests. Such products are like BOF, NukeNabber,
Lockdown 2000, Bonzi Intruder Alert, etc. They are interesting, but they aren't
really security tools as such. They don't monitor all the traffic, just a few
ports that they've installed a listener at. These sit ON TOP of Winsock.

Then there are personal firewalls that sit UNDERNEATH winsock and monitor all
traffic. Examples in this class are the McAfee personal firewall, Norton
Internet 2000, Zone Alarm, and BlackICE Defender.

The distinguishing feature of BlackICE Defender is that it is the only personal
firewall that contains intrusion detection capabilities (because it really is
just a slimmed down version of our corporate IDS BlackICE Sentry). AFAIK, it is
the only personal firewall that can be centrally managed (i.e. receive IDS
alerts from desktops, push down firewall rulesets to desktops, be updated). The
BlackICE IDS scans network traffic for hostile signatures in much the same way
that virus scanners examine files for virus signatures.

I'm the CTO for Network ICE, so I'm extremely biased :-).

I also know nothing of "Raptor Mobile". I suspect it is just part of their VPN
solution, in which case maybe there are central mgmt capabilities.

--- Randy Grimshaw <rgrimsha () syr edu> wrote:

This class of IDS / Firewall has hit my short list also. Any comparisons
or comments regarding BlackIce, Raptor Mobile, Zone Alert, Back Officer
Friendly, Internet 2000, etc are greatly appreciated.

<><Randall Grimshaw, IT-Engineer, Syracuse University, 315-443-5779