Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: [firewall-wizards] Trusted OS...

From: Paul McNabb <mcnabb () argus-systems com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 09:47:25 -0600 (CST)

Actually, the ability of a Trusted OS to protect a firewall is a little
greater than what Jackie has said.  It is true that in most old-style
(1st-2nd generation TOSes), there was little that the TOS could do to
help with securing network components, but with newer 3rd generation
TOSes, they can add significant security even if you are running only
commercial software on them.

For example, it is quite easy to limit on a *per-process* basis what
network resources a process can access; such as network interfaces,
subnets, IP address, ports, and protocols; including specific combinations
of these.  With a TOS, I can easily prevent a process connected to the
internet from ever sending a packet out another network interface (such
as an admin LAN).

With a TOS, I can allow a proxy process to communicate only with certain
port numbers over specific interfaces or to specific addresses or subnets.
I can allow access to firewall administration utilities only from certain
interfaces and certain IP address.

I can have traffic arriving on the same port numbers but on different
network interfaces or from different hosts to be routed to different
processes on the same machine.

And all of these restrictions will be in place even if an attacker
manages to "take over" a process via a stack overwrite bug or something
similar that allows that attack to have the process execute any sequence
of machine instructions and/or system calls.

All this being said, a TOS still won't make the commercial firewall
any more functional, and all the firewall's bugs will still be there.
(Although the TOS networking components will allow some packet filtering
by itself and so may help a little.)  The main strengths of the TOS in
relation to a firewall are related to protecting the administration and
in isolating and preventing damage from compromised components, such as
proxies.

These third generation TOSes are significantly more functional and more
secure than those that appeared 5-15 years ago in the government markets.
Plus they run all commercial software designed for the underlying OS,
they are installable on top of a running OS (no more installing a new
OS, just a piece of commercial software like any other piece of software),
and they are generally available for the most recent releases of the
commercial OS rather than being several releases out of date.

paul

Paul A. McNabb, CISSP           Argus Systems Group, Inc.
Senior Vice President and CTO   1809 Woodfield Drive
mcnabb () argus-systems com        Savoy, IL 61874 USA
TEL 217-355-6308
FAX 217-355-1433                "Securing the Future"