Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: High Speed Firewalls

From: Chenggong Charles Fan <fan () rainfinity com>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 20:56:54 -0800

I have a question regarding using load-balancers (such as F5, Alteon or
LocalDirector) for firewalls to achieve high performance and high
availability.  If the firewall sits on 3 subnets, it seems that you'll
need three pairs of load balancers (one for each subnet) to have a HA+LB
solution.  If you have more subnets, it's gonna be even more expensive.
Is there any go-around for that?

Charles

"Woeltje, Donald" wrote:

I'm sorry Rick, but it's not. When I priced BigIP, it was running over
$50,000 (depending on the licensing, as I remember; it's been a couple
years). At that same time, the Alteon ACESweitch 180 (with the ACElerate
software) came in at between $17,000 and $18,000. And the ACESwitch
performed 20 times faster, approximately. And it had all the same types of
load balancing features. It also outperformed Cisco's Load Director (or, and
I apologize to the group if I'm remembering the name a little incorrectly,
Cisco's Local Director; again, it's been a couple years) by an even greater
amount. Now, if I remember correctly, the Cisco solution was running in the
low $20k's, almost price competitive with the Layer 4 switches on the market
(including Alteon, which was the only Layer 4 switching product I tested).
But in my mind there was just no comparison, overall. Why pay more for less
when you can pay less for more?