Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Bypassing firewall

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:37:39 -0500

I think this discussion is really another manifestion of Ranum's Law:  You
can't solve social problems with software.  Yes, you can make it harder, but
*any* bidirectional channel can be used for tunneling.  You have two choices:
"persuade" employees that the firewall policies are reasonable (and take
appropriate action if folks don't go along), or modify your firewall policy to
conform to reality.  That brings up my own "law":  you can't use technical
mechanisms to enforce a stronger security policy than the organizational
culture will support.  (I once made that observation when giving a talk at,
umm, some government organization somewhere.  I remarked over lunch that at
least they had a culture that understood the need for security.  My hosts gave
me this pained look, before someone said "well, parts of the organization".  I
later told that story to someone else who worked there.  Her response was
"that's right; I have to get my job done, and I can't let the !@#$%^ firewall
get in the way.")

Your mileage may vary -- but probably not by very much.  I'm endlessly amused
by people who try to design new protocols to live on top of HTTP, simply
because that's something that can often get through firewalls.  My own opinion
is that if you *need* to get something through a firewall, open up the port --
and instead design protocols that are easy to inspect and/or proxy.

                --Steve Bellovin