Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Nokia/Checkpoint firewall

From: Jerald Josephs <jerald.josephs () iprg nokia com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 01:37:01 -0800

Josef Pojsl wrote:

Jerald,

many thanks for your input. I was especially concerned about the version
of FreeBSD that is your product based on. I was not able to find
any reference about it on your web site - have I missed something?

I don't believe that it is posted on our web site. That was my contribution from
within.

To restate my position, it comes from my strong belief that open systems
are more secure. I did not mean to impeach anyone's competence personally.
Still, IMHO, fixes and enhancements given to public are likely to be
more secure. For any security fixes and/or enhancements made by Nokia,
I would expect one of the following to happen:

1) You send them to the FreeBSD team that will eventually create patches
   or, in the case of new features, (a) port(s). This is my favourite
   as the authors of the OS know their system better than anyone.

It is possible that the FreeBSD team might be able to integrate the changes that we
make to IPSO, but I sincerely doubt it. The core of IPSO's TCP/IP deviates from the
FreeBSD code base since 2.2.6.

IPSO is an operating that is different from FreeBSD as much as SunOS is.

2) If you want to keep your changes private and base your business
   on them, you transparently explain what exactly has been changed
   or added and how (ideally, you would make the sources public,
   eventually still keeping your intelectual property).

Not a bad suggestion, but certainly one that would be made by others within
the organization. :-)

With full respect to the skills and commitment of your team,
I can't fully trust general statements about higher
security of your product unless there is a chance to look at it in detail.

That makes sense to me.
Perhaps I would have been wiser to state that IPSO is a hardened operating system that
could be compared to what you would have if you installed the Solaris Core + enough
packages, in order to run ASET and BSM, preparing the system to be a firewall.

I would like to refer to this as a hardened OS. This, and the known FreeBSD TCP/IP
security holes that have been plugged up, are the two things that I was thinking of
when I made my statement that IPSO is more secure than FreeBSD.

Cheers,  Jerald

With regards,
Josef