Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recent Attacks

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 18:15:19 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Crispin Cowan wrote:

Out-of-band control channels,

This doesn't defend against DDoS attacks that are data requests instead of control
packets.

It does if the control channel ensures that only valid data gets to the
target.  While routing information is in-band, data attacks are easier to
do.  Once control and routing information come out of band, it's possible
to limit data to authenticated nodes, appropriately tagged frames at the
link layer, etc.  This is an extension of the "marker dye" stuff that some
people have been playing with in ATM clouds to trace packets out of band.

end-to-end QoS,

Also won't stop attackers from flooding your pipe with requests.  In fact, it may
make it worse, as the attackers could spoof data requests that result in QoS
bandwidth allocations to spoofed clients, further choking the server's bandwidth.
QoS will have to be carefully tied to authentication, or else it just makes DDoS much
worse.

If it's end-to-end and it's not in-band, then how will the data even be
able to request any service, let along high-bandwidth service?  With
control nodes in the middle you start to get to a controlled network
fairly quickly.  My definition of end to end is that everyone participates
in the QoS negotiation, including the destination- either directly, or
through their upstream's connectivity arrangements.

traffic flow-based routing/flood control protocols,

I don't think I understand this proposal.

Intermediate routers can tag every N packets to a destination that's from
the last hop and roll squelching that traffic down by null0-ing packets
over a certain threshold.  The window slides upstream, hop-by-hop until
you hit the edge router doing the control process.  With enough
intercooperation, it places the bandwidth issue right at the host
network's boundary.  I'm sure I've partially misrepresented it, since I've
seen a bunch of close or similar proposals recently.

authenticated gatewaying and/or redirection, authenticated routing,

All the authentication schemes have two problems:

   * you need a global PKI that works for everyone, which is, er, problematic :-)

No you don't.  BGP4 works pretty will without PKI.  OSPF works well with
private keys.  You're fogetting that exchanging traffic (creating peering
relationships) doesn't have to happen at every node, and is already
controlled.

   * it does not stop an attacker from flooding a machine with packets that fail
     authentication.  Authenicated routing moves the probelm up-stream, which only
     helps somewhat

If you authenticate at the closest gateway to the user, the flood won't
transit the interconnect, and therefore remains a local customer problem
which is rather easily solved.  Also, end-to-end authentication with proxy
authentication at gateways and borders negates a global trust scheme.

slow-start egress routing,

This needs to be globally deployed to be effective.  It is more or less equivalent to
saying "secure all Internet nodes", because the attacker could compromise an inside
node, and use it to change the egress filtering policy.

Routers tend to be easier to secure than hosts, and it can be a routing
policy issue, not a host network issue (though I'm sure that there are
those who would wish to move it to the host.)

upstream artificial clocking,

I don't understand this proposal.

Instead of slow-start traffic flooding, clock outbound packets based on a
peering arrangement to your downstream routing nodes.

The backbones are the logical change point to me for this, and like going
to BGP4, it'll hurt some, but it's still mostly-managble.  I don't think
getting hosts to play nicely is realistic in this decade, but perhaps with
some V4-toV6 gatewaying the performance difference would make it worth
persuing for the majority.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280