Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Bypassing firewall

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 100 03:18:04 +1100 (EST)

In some email I received from Marcus J. Ranum, sie wrote:

Youre example is not using a proxy based firewall, you are using the
transparent DNS port. If you force the DNS through a proxy proces as it
should on a proxy based firewall (hidden DNS o.i.d) (No transparent
connection at all) then this trick will not work.

Back when I was writing the firewall toolkit I hacked together a
version of a /dev/tun driver and had it piping its output into a
script that uuencoded packets, then emailed them to an alias on
a remote machine which uudecoded them and shoved them into /dev/tun.
It worked; ping round trip times were in the order of seconds,
which made running NFS difficult without adjusting timeouts. I
was able to mount filesystems after a bit of fiddling, and could
get a very slow telnet session connected.

Tunnelling over DNS would be silly, anyhow; most firewalls
have this huge gaping hole called SSL...

The only context I can think of this making any sense is when you
have an inside agent program that makes an SSL connection to an
external host for the express purpose of providing access to systems
on the inside (sort of like dial-back).

The `solutions' are not pretty: disable any protocol using encryption
because the firewall cannot validate the message's integrity or force
everything to be decrypted and re-encrypted as required to allow the
message to be checked that it matches the right protocol.

Darren