Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: client puzzle protocol

From: Tommy Ward <tommy () securify com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 14:48:44 -0800

I think several people have already put a lot more engineering analysis
into RSA's proposed "solution" than it deserves.  It clearly seems
like it is based more on marketitecture, which was aimed at grabbing
some mind share of the uninformed public than on creating any kind
of workable solution to DoS or DDoS threats.

I think the following from one of my colleagues in Sydney sums it up
best:

"Nah, RSA's solution is to DOS the web site for you, so you, the discerning
hacker, don't have to."   Matt Barrie <matt () infilsec com>

It may prevent spoofing, but I think massive parallel puzzling by large
numbers of zombies with genuine unwanted connections will beat this and
anything else of the kind.

Tommy Ward                              V.P. Operations, Western Region
650-812-9400 x4120                               tommy () securify com

                Kroll-O'Gara Information Security Group