Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recent Attacks

From: apotter () icsa net
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:34:41 -0500

The technological solution will come.  Filtering is part of the solution, and
will come soonest.  The REAL solution will likely take a while, since, as MJR
points out, it's a hard problem.

That leaves us with the social issue.

The thinking in the Anti-Virus community about how to deal with this (social
issues) has long been to catch one of the buggers and nail his hide up on the
wall as a deterrent to the rest of `em.

It's significant to note that the Melissa author will be sentenced in May.
Hopefully he, and the fella described below, will get their hides "tacked up"
in such a way to help with the social issue.

don () netspys com said:
Yeap, that what we just finished doing in Virginia. Had a copycat come
after us Sunday morning. Tracked him down within 2 hour of the attack
and he was sitting in jail within 24 hours of the attack for felony
computer trespass.

Hit em hard and fast.

And publicly....

AL
--
| Al Potter                           Manager, Network Security Labs |
| apotter at-yay icsa ot-day net                           ICSA Labs |