Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FreeBSD 4.2 ipfw natd -- Port Forwarding?

From: "Michael A. Williams" <mike () netxsecure net>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 21:57:11 +1300

Russ wrote:

Hi, fist time poster, thanks for the cool mailing list...

I am using FreeBSD 4.2 and have set up a pretty good firewall using ipfw
and natd via some tutorials and documentation I have found. So it works but
now I need to customize it a little...

Question:  How can I allow incoming connections through my firewall.  The
client lets me specify what port to listen to incoming requests on, before
I was using a router that had built in port forwarding... So the client is
set to listen on 8877 and router forwards incoming request to port 8877 to
computer with ip 192.168.1.3 for port 8877, you get the picture?

This probably should be on freebsd-questions :)
Look at man natd for redirect_port,
combined with deny_incoming works well especially if you are planning to
deny all inbound connections apart form pre configured redirects.

Mike.

--
Michael A. Williams, InfoSec Technology Manager
NetXSecure NZ Limited, mike () netxsecure net www.netxsecure.com