Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Pix Firewall Syslogs/logging

From: "Yoann LeCorvic" <yoann.lecorvic () infrasoft-civil com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 08:19:11 +0000

Hi

This is a TIME TO LIVE EXCEEDED IN TRANSIT. Means that a packet has been sent from your network, and the time to live
reached 0 before arriving to the target server. That could also ping a tracroute initiated from your network...

See RFC 792 for ICMP Protocol...

Hope this helps

Cheers

Yoann Le Corvic - Internet Administrator
Email : yoann.lecorvic () infrasoft-civil com
Web : http://www.infrasoft-civil.com/
========================
Infrasoft Ltd
North Heath Lane
Horsham, West Sussex RH12 5QE
United Kingdom
Tel : +44 (0)1403 259511
Fax : +44 (0)1403 217728

puetzc () yahoo com 19/12/00 22:36:08 >>>
I am trying to find my way through the logfiles after
turning on logging on my Pix. I receive messages like
this one (see below) but are not sure what to read out
of it:

<163>Dec 01 2000 15:20:29: %PIX-3-106014: Deny inbound
icmp src outside:63.225.107.174 dst inside:<my IP
address> (type 11, code 0)

Has anyone good information about what kind of
"type"'s and "code"'s I have to look for and what they
mean? Also - what would the message above really mean?
I could not find something at Cisco's web page but
maybe I look at the wrong spot. If I ping/tracert a
few of these outside IP addresses I do not even get
DNS information - it just times out.

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks!

Chris