Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN for *DSL/CableModem Users

From: amanda <amanda () wineasy se>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 08:40:14 "GMT"

Give each user a tamper resistant laptop with Windows 2000, no boot menu,
floppy boot disabled, no write access to c:\winnt, automatic anti-virus
updates, encrypted hard disk etc. Create dial-up settings for modem/vpn
access with stored passwords that the user don't know. That way they
*have* to use this specific laptop to connect.

To prevent a stolen laptop from connecting this should be combined with a
password that the user knows/smartcard/SecurID etc.

Hard work for the first few machines you make, but you can create install
scripts for such machines.

Amanda.