Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Why VPNs aren't magic silver bullet solutions

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () enternet se>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:41:00 +0200

marty wrote:

<snip a very imformative piece>

So on that basis, what are VPNs good for?

VPNs are _very_ useful, if used right. As I said, they're
the equivalent of a heavily guarded point-to-point line.

Connecting security equivalent networks with VPNs is fine; that's
what they were designed to do. For instance, connecting a branch
office, where you can guarantee local security, to the head office
is one perfect VPN application.

The problem I was addressing is when VPNs are used to
connect networks that are NOT security equivalent on
the misled belief that they'll automagically guarantee
endpoint security. This is something that they can never do.

Anyone holding the equivalent of a piece of ethernet cable
and looking at the DMZ switch and the internal network
switch would realize that it's a Bad Idea(tm), one would
think, but apparently, that's not always the case.

That's why I wrote that piece, not to say that "VPNs
suck". They don't. :)

Regards,
Mikael Olsson

--
Mikael Olsson, EnterNet Sweden AB, Box 393, S-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK
Phone: +46 (0)660 29 92 00         Direct: +46 (0)660 29 92 05