Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE:Split DNS, who be recursive?

From: Bill_Royds () pch gc ca
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 12:40:22 -0400

This is the structure of our split DNS and it generally works well. There are a
couple of questions I would ask of it thoiugh.

1./ What is the best way of handling internal secondaries?
     a) have them always forward any external request to primary which then
recurses through firewall.
     b) every secondary can contact external DNS to fulfil requests.
 Option a builds up a good cache in your primary DNS server but gives a lot of
work to primary and creats a longer serial pipeline.
Option b maybe slightly less secure but speeds up request for new DNS entries.

2./ How should you handle DNS in a segregated server segment (off third NIC on
firewall).
     a1) have it be secondary to external (DMZ) server (allowing zone transfers
from external server to server segment)
     a2) have server segment machines use external as DNS server with no DNS
server on server segment.
     b1) have it be secondary to internal DNS server (forcing zone transfers
through firewall).
     b2) have servers use internal as DNS server (allowing queries from server
to internal through firewall).
     c)   have it be primary with its own knowledge.

Each of these has its good and bad points in efficiency, security and
complexity. Thoughts?

Jeffery.Gieser () minnesotamutual com on 30/03/2000 12:05:28 PM

Please respond to Jeffery.Gieser () minnesotamutual com