Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Reading firewall logs

From: "Litney, Tom" <TLitney () caiso com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:33:15 -0700

Hi Alex,

  Is this a troll?  You're asking a list of security people the value of
reviewing firewall logs (or any system logs for that matter)?  Of course it
is very important and yes there are products on the market that may help you
do this (e.g. WEBTRENDS).  I happen to like good old fashion shell scripts
with the liberal use of grep -v.  The idea being throw away everything that
you don't need to see and don't care about leaving the stuff a human
security eye needs to check.  Of course you can use PERL or your language De
Jour.  It shouldn't take a few hours to review firewall logs after this type
of processing.  It only takes me about 15 minutes max per firewall
(sometimes the follow up on incidents can take a bit longer :-) ).

   Tom