Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall configuration questions.

From: Rogue Bolo <roguebolo () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 12:21:05 -0700 (PDT)

There is no trick to getting a routed device, static
or dynamic, firewalled or not to use public addresses
regardless of the operating system. This is a
non-issue. Assign ip's as is appropriate. With regards
to using public or private ip's internally is really
more a question of whether or not you have a need to
route to internal hosts from the outside or not. It is
really a matter of choice, not normal or abnormal.

--- John Morey <jmorey () mmintl com> wrote:
1) Is  possible, using Linux, to setup a firewall
such that it has public IP addresses on both
sides.  I thought I read something about this some
time back but I can not find it now.  If I
remember correctly the trick had to do with putting
both network interfaces on the same network
but giving the external interface a network mask of
255.255.255.252 and the internal interface
a network mask of 255.255.255.0.

2) If the above is possible, is it advisable?  What
are the up and downs as apposed to doing it
the "normal" way where the internal machines have
private IP addresses?

Thanks for any help or info,

John Morey
jmorey () mmintl com