Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall to protect web server

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 14:31:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Jim Ide wrote:

Hello -

        [SNIP]

1.    The apache web server (and other web servers) can be configured to
allow/deny access based on the ip addresses and domain names of incoming
requests.  Firewalls can also be configured to do this.  Should I use
apache, firewall, or both, to block incoming http requests?  Advantages /
disadvantages / considerations to these approaches?

Use all that you can, it's better to not rely on one system and or point
of failure.  Hell, add tcpd into the mix just to be safe.  maybe even
xinetd...

2.    I have purchased the Netmax firewall ( www.netmax.com
<http://www.netmax.com>  ) and have installed it successfully.  Has anyone
had experience with this product?  Good / bad?

No, sorry, I have not, others I'm sure will have <smile>.

3.    Has anyone had experience with a using the linux ipchains script
builder at linux-firewall-tools.com ?  Good / bad?

Your defaults are going to be set to deny, and since your allows are going
to be minimal and tight, I think hand tuning is going to do best for you
and also avoid some of the messy mis-signals tools like chains/ipfw script
builders can open up on you.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior consultant:  darkstar.sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!