Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Export restrictions for Embargo-ed countries

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 08:57:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Todd Joseph wrote:

Never done this myself, but I've been to many site that have.

(1) Block based on assigned NetBlocks.  I seriously doubt this is
possible.  Didn't find anything on ARIN that helped...

That's because the ARIN only covers the Americas, though I would think
Cuba falls in there...

You also need to check out RIPE (www.ripe.net) and the APNIC
(www.apnic.net).

(2) Block based on Domain name.  What about a site with no PTR record?
Even if there was a PTR, the name could end in .com, .net. .org, etc.

Under this type of arrangement, sites with no reverse name get
refused.  Sites with a non-locale name get looked up in whois, and a
determination is made based on that.

(3) Legalise Form: "Are you from one of these countries: ?"

Does that make your lawyers happy? If so, that seems easiest.

(4) Some combination of the above.

You point out yourself that these are all easily worked around.  So,
lacking any actual benefit.. find out what the minimum is to make your
guys happy, and do that.

                                        Ryan