Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: AntiVirus Software

From: chuck <fwwiz () yerkes com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 12:46:13 -0700

Quoting Robert Driscoll (driscoll_r () primesource com):
      Hopefully this message is not an inappropriate for this list, if
so, please discard.

      This question revolves more around Virus Scanning than firewalling.
But since the scanner will talk directly to the firewall, I would like any
input you may wish to elicit.

CVP is a Checkpoint Protocol.  It's there, it's supported.  It will
likely be supplanted in the nearish future by something with more "buy
in" from vendors.  Trying a while ago to get a Checkpoint CLIENT going
was a pain.  The SDK focusses on helping you write servers, which makes
sense from Checkpoint's POV, but hard if you want to hack sendmail to
send mail to a scanner.

Trend runs on a Unix box.  I like that.  I'd rather have an 8-way unix
box running like hell than 16 NT boxes.  I believe a couple of AV
vendors are aiming at Unix implementations by end of year for similiar
reasons - it just scales better.

Don't blame Compaq for dropping Alpha/NT support.  Let's recall MIPS
and PowerPC/NT and look at the fact that getting MS to do reasonable
multiplatform support has always been marginal.  I know the MS folks
developing for MIPS (at the time) LOVED it.  A much better architecture
than x86.

But Trend on non-NT works, according to customers I've worked with.
Longer term (6 months) there will be lots of options, so if you
implement a 'test period' and get some stuff in, you'll buy some time.

chuck