Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Hardware vs. Software firewall reliability

From: "Bill Pennington" <bpennington () lucidnetworks com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 08:15:45 -0700

I have always preferred hardware firewalls to software firewalls. Most of my
clients do not have in house security staff or even knowledgeable sys admin
types. Since my company becomes the security team and sometimes the sys
admin team I want a firewall I don't have to worry about. We generally
deploy a Cisco Pix box and don't worry about it going down.

Having said that I have deployed several FW-1 on NT solutions that have
proven just as robust, but the effort I had to go through to make them that
robust was far more the I went through with the Pix. I am a relative newbie
when it comes to firewalls (about 2 years) and I have not had a chance to
work with a lot of different firewall software/hardware. From speaking with
a few ISPs around the Bay Area it seems that most use either Cisco Pix or
FW-1 on Unix. I think this speaks more towards the ability of the ISP staff
than it does towards the "best" firewall.

Just my .2.

Bill Pennington
Consultant
Lucid Networks