Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SonicWalls take down networks?

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 22:41:23 -0700 (PDT)

Ah.

So one problem is the fact that the network is very "flat". My thinking is from
the abstract view that you are 20 hops away from the firewall, so how could it
affect the way the network worked? In reality, networks are "flattening" out
more and more with switched hubs, and of course SonicWall is also built for
smaller offices which also tend to be flat.

The next problem is the feature 'enable router proxy arp'. Proxie ARPs have
been known to cause major havoc with systems in the past. They are a nifty
"kludge" get around things certain networking problems, but they quickly get
out of hand sometimes. As you see, they quickly create HUGE ARP tables, or in
your case, has a HUGE affect on the network by ARPing everyone's address.

Of course, proxy ARPs are not specific to SonicWall, though of course as I
mentioned in my original message it may not be a good thing that the product
defaults led to a pathological configuration.

Rob.

--- Bill Stout <bill.stout () aristasoft com> wrote:
Found the problem.

There's an undocumented administration page \\sonicwall\diag.htm which has
checkboxes for 'enable arp bridging' and 'enable router proxy arp'.
Apparently when combined with NAT mode, will cause the sonicwall to 'own'
all internal IP addresses when an external system attempts to access those
addresses - In this instance a nasty D.O.S. against all internal servers and
desktops on the subnet.

Turning these checkboxes off solved the problem.

This particular configuration has two sonicwalls, one connected to a Citrix
server (for trunked extranet VPNs), and the other connected to the office
network (for administrative VPN to remote co-located systems).  Both connect
WAN ports to a hub which connects to a Cisco router.

This particular configuration worked fine for months, that is, until a
Citrix server connected to both internal and 'firewalled' networks could not
see the internal servers (rebooting at the time after UPS failure) through
it's internal LAN.  It then attempted to connect through the external LAN
(since the Cisco 'knew' the route to the private 10.x.x.x network), which
apparently triggered NAT on the sonicwall to glom onto addresses on the
internal subnet as it's own.

SonicWall tech support tells me this may be complicated by two factors; one,
that the sonicwall has 10 user licenses and may prevent access attempt 11
and above by grabbing those later IP addresses, two, that there is a
possible problem when sonicwalls are initially configured on a 10.x.x.x
subnet and reconfigured for another, since they've seen this happen once
before.

Bill Stout

P.S. - Have not receving list messages since 9/14, reply directly please.