Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

To Toast or Not To Toast, That is the question! (Was: Free NAT)

From: czarcone () rpm com
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 08:46:38 -0400

<WAY OFF TOPIC>

But hey, why *not* have your toaster connected to a network? To
paraphrase/plagarize a recent ACM article (or it might have been Computer) think
of the possibilities:

- When you open your refridgerator door and remove the bread, your refridgerator
could communicate with the toaster using the Imminent Toast Possibility
Protocol, letting it know that it might have some toasting duties to perform.
The toaster could then prepare itself for this contingency.
- If actual toasting begins, the toaster could contact the dishwasher using the
Clean Plate Protocol, informing it that it can expect a dirty plate (and maybe a
peanut-butter stained knife) in the not-too-distant future. The dishwasher can
then take action as necessary; maybe it will need to clean its current load to
accomodate the new plate.
- The toaster could maintain its own Internet web page, showing current vital
statistics, GIFs of recent successful toasts, its thoughts on the importance of
toasting properly, and so on.
- The toaster could contact other toasters in the neighborhood, and around the
world, and ask for tips and advice on how to toast certain kinds of bread. Or
perhaps the toaster might contact the National Institute of Toast Infrastructure
and take part in a lively debate on new toasting strategies and concepts.
- Using its spare CPU cycles, the toaster could think about Unified Field Theory
and send its discoveries to MIT using the Time To Kill Protocol.

This may sound like a joke, but it's not. I think we can expect to see this kind
of household integration in commonplace use in the near future. In fact, the
technology for much of this exists today, it's really a function of $$$$$ and
how much free time you have on your hands.

And to that extent, security will play a major role; household firewalls will
probably become as commonplace as deadbolts and burglar alarms. After all, the
toaster and the dishwasher will need to be able to talk, but you don't want The
Hacker From Around The World breaking in and stealing your secret recipe for
Pop-Tart Smores.

</WAY OFF TOPIC>

Regards,

Christopher Zarcone
Network Security Consultant
RPM Consulting, Inc.
#include <std.disclaimer.h>
My opinions are completely my own and based on no useful knowledge whatsoever,
and in fact should not be considered by anyone.

Robert,
I think you are touching on something that I have suspected
for some time
now.  Specifically that it is not a long term workable solution that
requires every single "host" have it's own globally unique IP address.
In the not to distant future our breaker panels, security systems, air
conditioners, toasters, etc. (ad vomiteum) will, all and every one, be
"network accessible".  I have thought for a while that  a scheme that
requires every single item that might need network
connectivity to have a
unique global address is and will continue to be unworkable.

I don't beleive that this was ever the intention.  How many people want or
need the whole world to be able to connect to and control their toaster?  I
personally beleive that NAT and similar methods will not fade after (or are
intended to be replaced by) the introduction of IPv6.