Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Hackers and gateway systems

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 19:22:43 -0500

In message <381CD85B.708867D7 () one net au>, Benjamin Smee writes:
"Steven M. Bellovin" wrote:

In message <1310EC43D374D211A74100104B09669004E82008@DUNTX004>, "Plymale, C
hery
l" writes:
Hi,

Does anyone know of a court case where a hacker was exonerated in part
because of "Welcome"  was displayed on a gateway system?

I've looked very hard for that, and repeatedly asked folks who claim they k
now
of such a case to send me a pointer.  Thus far, I've found nothing.

I repeat my plea -- if you know of such a case, please send me some sort of
verifiable citation or pointer.

Hello,

I cant send a verifieable link, however, I can say in my previous job as
a security consultant I used to give a number of presentations and as
part of those presentations I had material that talked about a couple of
cases in the USA that illustrated this precise point. I believe the
bottom line was not necessarily the wording of "welcome" but rather that
there was no statement clearly indicating to the attacker that what he
was doing was illegal. Apparently the attacker claimed ignorance of any
wrong doing and was let off in at least the two cases I used to cite.

Lots of security consultants have said this -- but none have been able to
point at a particular case.

                --Steve Bellovin