Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft invents SOAP

From: Neil Ratzlaff <Neil.Ratzlaff () ucop edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 10:18:33 -0700

I like this sentence:

"Firewalls, provided by products such as the Microsoft® Proxy Server, can
block
incoming traffic based on various criteria and thereby increase an
organization's confidence in the security of its systems."  Linking M$
promoting their product with the implication that confidence is increased
without claiming that security is increased.

They seem to equate a firewall with router packet filtering capabilities
(except for M$ Proxy Server, which they also think is a firewall). So they try
to get around this archaic assumption by tunneling DCOM through the firewall
masked as http.  Next thing we know, Doubleclick will be using this to sneak
their banners past the firewall blocks.

Based on Microsoft's record, I am leery of DCOM, but I don't work with it so I
don't know how dangerous it can be.  I just couldn't resist the first
comments.

Neil