Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Lightweight standalones? WAS: BlackIce Defender???

From: sean.kelly () lanston com
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:21:11 -0400

I've never heard of such a thing, but are there any little (desktop) 2-port
standalone firewalls available?  I would think with the growing popularity
of cable and DSL access that such a thing would be quite practical, and IMO
setting up a *nix-based PC for the task seems like overkill.  All it would
need is 2 ports, an RS-232 and some firmware.  I personally don't even have
any need for NAT but I would prefer to move the filtering off my PC to a
separate box.

I checked the Nokia site and it seems like their low-end standalone is close
to what I'm describing, but I'm guessing it still costs quite a bit.

Sean