Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Using DHCP (was RE: IP Spoofing)

From: Carl Brewer <carl () bl echidna id au>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:42:27 +1000 (EST)

From: "Anton J Aylward" <anton () the-wire com>
To: "Safier, Adam (GEIS)" <Adam.Safier () geis ge com>, <Bill_Royds () pch gc ca>,
        "Dave Gillett" <dgillett () deepforest org>
Cc: <firewall-wizards () lists nfr net>
Subject: RE: Using DHCP (was RE: IP Spoofing)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:19:32 -0400

I understand that there are also DHCP servers that will ping to see
if an address is in use before assigning it.

It seems to me that a few malicious or perhaps just misinformed or misdirected
people (say someone on the help line who doesn't know about DHCP) could
quite easily screw up a network.

I had a small scale DoS (accidental) recently when a printer picked up
my firewall management server's IP address from a misconfigured
DHCP server and it held onto the address.  It can happen :)