Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Passwords

From: Vin McLellan <vin () shore net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 21:50:47 -0400

        Don Helms <dhelms () sw org> wrote:

However, you can track the activity on a given account and see if the patterns
change.  For example, the guy that logs in to one app every moorning, does his
work and goes home.  If suddenly that user is running this app, that app and
poking round at random, his password might have been compromised.  Also keep
an eye on time of day for new and unusual activity.

        Rick Smith <rick_smith () securecomputing com> replied:

Does anyone have experience with such a thing in an operational
environment? My impression was that these systems were had very limited
benefits. At most they might help with network and server performance
tuning, not security. In the real world it seemed that they'd either be
useless at detecting intrusions or they'd be constantly nagged with false
alarms (i.e. changes from one project to another).

        I'm one of probably hundreds of thousands who have benefited from a
similar system that recognized when my telephone credit card number had been
swiped (probably when it was used in one of several airports on a business
trip) and flipped overseas for criminal exploitation.  I got a call from
Bell Atlantic asking if I had bounced around Europe over the weekend.

        I also recall that TRW -- somewhere in the mid-80s, I think --
claimed great success in establishing and codifying a pattern of use for
valid subscribers who had legitimate access to your personal credit
history... and using variance in that pattern to identify hackers who had
somehow obtained valid passwords and were using them (in off hours and
through different access points) than the legitimate users of a particular
account.

        Don't most users have fairly set patterns of use: working hours, IP
address, at least? Exceptions outside those patterns should be fairly easy
to alarm.  That's really only an attempt to automate and scale the
know-your-users credo that is the norm for small installations.

         I suspect its only when you get into subtle variances (which app,
etc.) that  you get swamped with false alarms.  YMMV.

        Anyone have a name for any of the utilities which can do this?

                        Suerte,
                                        _Vin

The fact that an intrusion took place doesn't prove the password was
compromised, though it's probably the way to bet with most systems these
days.

Rick.
smith () securecomputing com
"Internet Cryptography" at http://www.visi.com/crypto/