Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: frame relay...

From: "Sink, Douglas D (Doug), BNSVC" <ddsink () att com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 09:27:13 -0600

You can tap into someone's access line and easily decode frame relay. Or, if
you had physical access to a backbone trunk and can decode ATM (AT&T's frame
relay backbone protocol), you could sniff that. However, you'd need some
intelligence to determine whose traffic you were looking at from one cell to
the next. One way would be to reassemble all the cells from one VP/VC back
into the frames for a single PVC. Then look at content to determine who the
user might be. Or, break into some admin system that maps vp/vi into
customers' PVCs.

I don't know if AT&T has sniffers always tapped on to a line that you could
break into and take over.

I am sure it's possible but it shouldn't be easy.

Doug Sink
AT&T