Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: UDP: port 31790 -> 31789

From: John Ladwig <jladwig () nts umn edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 10:25:05 -0600 (CST)

hello all,
our firewall logs a lot of packets, coming in from port 31790 to
port 31789, udp protocol. it seems to be a quite usual scan attack.
has anybody encountered anything equal or can anybody explain to me,
what kind of software the possible attacker is expecting at port
31789?

any hints are greatly appreciated

Scuttlebutt from other parts of my institution is there are ports in
that range (tcp and udp) that are commonly mapped to RPC services like
ypserv on Solaris.  There may be others, naturally.

We see scans/probes on these ports pretty regularly.

    -jml