Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Newspaper Article about Cable Modem security

From: Wozz <wozz+firewall-wizards () wookie net>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 12:50:09 -0700

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 07:57:46AM +0100, Rodney van den Oever wrote:
While many may believe it should be the ISP's responsibility to protect
users from
themselves, I disagree. I *do* think that all ISPs (dialup or otherwise)
have a responsibility to >provide some basic information about things users
can do to protect themselves. Simple >things like not running any
unnecessary services, disabling (or taking steps to secure) File >Sharing,
and definately not running programs from untrusted sources.

Possible new market here:

1. Cable modems incorporating filters. This modem could be managed by the
ISP (of course this has its disadvantages, not very secure, managed service
too expensive).

The DOCSIS cable modem specifications have IP filters incorporated, its
only a matter of time before most all systems are upgraded to DOCSIS.