Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Is this for real

From: "Saravana Ram" <Ram () POP Jaring My>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:38:48 +0800

arguments for installing a firewall and still do recommend them.) I think it
does increase security assurance. Does >for me, anyway. I'd love a device that
provided a provable separation in the network... this for the same reason I
(and many of us) argue for security devices that fail closed. I'd even say it
could "greatly" increase assurance.

How does a physical separation of the network really help? At the end, if you
can coerce the outer gatekeeper to pass information through the "gap" (by the
usual BOF methods etc) you'd still have a security breach. To coerce a
firewall to pass a packet between two network interfaces on the same PCI bus
is the same as coercing this Whale setup to write a packet to this scsi disk
(or logical device).

I don't see the added protection.