Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: "Proactive" Password Checking

From: sean.kelly () lanston com
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:13:21 -0500

FWIW I have stopped telling people not to write passwords down, in
favour of telling them to select (or have forced upon them) very
complex passwords, and telling them to write them down and keep the
paper safe if needs be.

IMO the problem isn't remembering ONE complex password, it's remembering the
tens of complex passwords for all the locations they are required nowadays.
From system passwords to shopping sites, and each will ideally have a
different password.

I know Bruce Schneier advocates the use of one of those encryted
software-storage apps.  I agree with you that writing the password down
isn't a terrible idea, as long as it's not tapd to their monitor or some
such.

Sean