Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Load balancer in lieu of firewall...

From: "Scott Brown" <scott.brown () kottmann com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 13:38:58 -0500

I have recently evaled the BIGip HA+ configuration, and agree that there is
a lot of protection on inbound traffic.  What you gain is essentially NAT
and ACLs.  I don't believe that it addresses the whole picture.  If you ask
around at BIGip, you will find that one of their customers uses BIGip  to
load balance traffic across firewalls to avoid traffic bottlenecks at the
network demarcation point.  If they provide all firewall services, why would
someone (I believe it is the army) want to do this?

I use both.  Just my $0.02

Scott Brown