Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall comparison in Data Communications

From: Nicolas FISCHBACH <nicolist () adec fr>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 23:22:20 +0200

Matt Curtin wrote:

Hmm.  I saw no mention of attempts to source-route traffic.

I have been told that NT doesn't have the ability to detect and block
source-routed packets.  Are NT firewalls somehow detecting and
dropping these things these days?  Or is it true that NT firewalls are
unable to block this attack without help from another component with
half a brain (i.e., having the access router drop source routed
stuff)?

It seems that SP5 (for NT4) fixes this. According to KB article Q217336
you can disable the "TCP/IP Source Routing Feature" via a new registry
key (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q217/3/36.asp).

I didn't have time to check if it works and if source routed datagrams
only get dropped or also logged (in the case of a normal -not a
firewall- server).

nico.
--
------------- Nicolas FISCHBACH [nicolas () adec fr] -------------
Responsable Reseaux, Systemes et Securite ADELIS - groupe B.I.C