Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Port Cheat Sheet

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 17:29:26 -0400 (EDT)

Derek Vadala mused:
A worthwhile endeavor might be a searchable port database (backed  by SQL)
that allowed security folks to add comments about various ports/services.
I'd be willing to donate the box, but I don't have time to do the work.
Come to think of it, it would probably be a lot less work to convince the
Slashdot folks to add this to their site since they already have the
engine worked out.

And they certainly need more users at their Web site.  ;-)

Seriously, the first place I always look is /etc/services on some J Q
Random Unix [or derivative] system.  The DEC one used to be very good.
The Linux one seems to be good; probably *BSDs' are, as well.  Some
companies seem to trim it a bit to mostly include the Well Known ports
and their proprietary ports, though ...

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support                                     EMT-B