Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Responsiveness of remote admins

From: Nathaniel Tobius <tbarrick () borgware org>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 18:13:46 -0700

Lance Spitzner wrote:

<snip>
Larger organizations may be acting on the information I have
sent them, I just do not know since I never hear anything back.

As an @home user (on another channel) I can tell you first hand that
"they" do act on the information that you send in.

As an un-announced security tester (all legal of course), I had my
Internet connection terminated last friday because of "hacking
activities." It seems as though several of my clients were expecting me
to check them out through my office's proxy IP - nope. After a few quick
phone calls and long winded explanations I did manage to re-establish my
connection.

I will say that it appears that action is based on the quality of the
complaint. Log files and dissertation of the "bad guy's" actions, and
the admin's actions is what got me hammered. Of course the several
weighty company names probably played a part too. ;-)

Nate