Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Random Questions

From: "Andrew J. Luca" <andrewluca () mediaone net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 07:34:42 -0400

        I don't think that it is a question of which would be "more secure" rather
it is a question of "what functionality are you looking for?"

        A true switch is a bridge and thus only provides MAC layer filtering for an
ethernet connection.  Although you can do cool offsets and stuff to filter
IP packets it's a huge pain (been there, done that).  If you are looking to
be able to easily filter packets through ACLs which are easy to configure
(relative to a switch) and are built for this purpose choose a router.

        Now that I have said that, I do understand that there are switches on the
market which have the capability to provide Layer-3 filtering (e.g. packet
filtering like a router).  However, this is still a router in that case.
They have just made the offset stuff transparent to the user.

        Given the fact that you can get a low end Cisco router with 2E at a pretty
cheap price, buy the router.  The only thing that you would get from a
switch is the ability to do port mirroring.  This can come in handy but you
generally are talking about a pretty expensive box and if you are planning
on using anything more than a couple of T-1's, the switch is going to be the
bottleneck while mirroring.

DrewL