Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: finger/IMAP scans

From: davidg () genmagic com (David Gillett)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:52:32 -0800

On 22 Mar 99, at 9:59, Neil Ratzlaff wrote:

I keep seeing people doing combination finger/IMAP scans on our
primary and secondary nameservers.  The number of sources is
increasing.  (And the firewall keeps blocking them.) The ratio is
usually about two fingers followed by an IMAP, they wil try several
dozen times, and then they quit. Does anyone recognize this as a
meaningful pattern?  If so, can someone tell me what they think they
are doing?  Assuming there is thought involved, of course.

  A common pattern we see includes two tries each at IMAP, finger, POP,
telnet, mountd, and sometimes a couple of others.  Every time we've
tracked it back, we've found someone's Linux box that has been cracked.

David G